Reference code(s): H/NW/1/SP
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: SMALL POX HOSPITAL
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.5 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Small Pox Hospital | Saint Pancras x Small Pox and Vaccination Hospital, Highgate x Clare Hall Hospital, Middlesex
The Small Pox Hospital was founded on Windmill Street, Tottenham Court Road in 1746, and was later moved to the parish of Saint Pancras on the site of the present King's Cross Station. The institution was rebuilt in c 1793-1794 when it received patients from the Cold Bath Fields Hospital in Clerkenwell, a foundation originating in Islington in 1740.
The hospital moved from King's Cross to Highgate Hill in c 1846, and from there to Clare Hall, South Minns c 1895-1899. It was acquired by the Middlesex Districts Joint Small Pox Hospital Board c 1900-1910. In May 1911, the Local Government Board made an order permitting the admission to Clare Hall of patients with pulmonary tuberculosis. Under a special order of the Minister of Health in 1928, the Hospital became a Middlesex County Council Institution. This came into effect on 1 April 1929 and the Joint Board was dissolved. In 1948 on creation of the National Health Service, the hospital was transferred to the North West Metropolitan Regional Hospital Board. In 1949 non-tuberculosis patients were admitted for treatment. The hospital was closed in 1975.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the Small Pox Hospital, Saint Pancras, including registers of outpatients, giving date, from whom inoculated, name, age, residence, remarks, and notes of progress of inoculation on subsequent days of attendance, 1808-1810 and 1821-1822; register of patients showing date, name, age, period of disease on admission, employment, address, payment/name of parish, character of disease, vaccinated/otherwise, date of discharge/death, 1827-1838, (the volume also contains statistical analysis of patient admissions and deaths, 1776-1859 and a list of resident physicians, 1819-1835); and register of in-patients at the Small Pox and Vaccination Hospital, Highgate, 1879-1907.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
In sections according to catalogue.
Conditions governing access:
These records are open to public inspection, although under section 5(4) of the 1958 Public Records Act administrative records are closed for 30 years and patient records for 100 years.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information:
Immediate source of acquisition:
Existence and location of originals:
Existence and location of copies:
See also records of Middlesex County Council, including the Public Health Committee 1912-1948 and the Sanatoria House Committee, later Harefield and Clare Hall Hospitals Sub-committee, 1929-1948.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: February 2009